Senior Developer, Hull, £38,000 - £45,000
Working across various sectors and developing a variety of API driven web / mobile app, the role will be to think, develop and create and you will work all the way from the initial conception to deployment so experience of this process is beneficial.
The role is full time and you will work in a team to develop a variety of api driven web/mobile apps. We are a dynamic group, working in various sectors creating many solutions for organisations.
You'll be creating both responsive frontend and scalable backend solutions and you will be involved with planning projects all the way from conception to deployment, testing and continued support. The environment is chill, but the work is fast paced, so you must be well organised and have the ability to communicate effectively.
For this role the salary range will be between £38,000 and £45,000 with a number of perks and benefits that come with a digital company in a tech hub.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We're looking for someone who strives to build well-engineered web solutions using modern tools and frameworks. You'll be tasked with building a variety of solutions that are quite challenging; we work with many IoT projects, web portals and startups involving high volumes of data and integration. It’s important that you have an understanding of current best practices and frameworks with a willingness and drive to keep pushing your knowledge forward.
We currently use Ember JS front ends driven by Phoenix based Elixir APIs to build our apps, so experience of either would be great, but not essential. The successful candidate should be keen to learn and work with one of or both of these frameworks.
We are looking for something like;
- Minimum 6 years experience.
- A solid understanding on the basics of web development (HTML, CSS).
- Experience of some modern JS frontend development; EmberJS, Angular, React or jQuery.
- Experience with server side web development; Ruby, PHP, .Net or Elixir.
- Developing or working with API, knowledge of JSONAPI a plus.
- Basic understanding of version control (git).
- Experience of architecting and developing complex web solutions and API's.
- We’re always looking to improve, so you'll be expected to help us raise the bar when it comes to engineering practices.
- Mentors junior engineers via pairing, design review, and code review.
- We take a lean startup approach to our projects, so you'll sometimes be expected to build prototypes of ideas at speed whilst adhering to good practices.
- Interest in mobile web is a bonus, many of our solutions are responsive or mobile-first.
- Persistent in the face of roadblocks; dispatches them efficiently, pulling in others as necessary. Requires minimal direction/oversight
- Takes the initiative to fix issues before being assigned them. Seeks empirical evidence through proof of concepts, tests and external research
Skills we need
- Demonstrable experience in a modern web stack such as Laravel, Rails, Phoenix or NodeJS (anything with MVC).
- Experience with TDD or BDD, and a test first approach.
- Knowledge of HTTP standards, API best practices, REST, web security and authentication, basics of building scalable solutions.
- Understanding of software engineering basics such as coupling, cohesion, design patterns and data structures.
- Good knowledge of SQL, including complex queries.
- Experience using CI such as Travis or Jenkins for automated build, test and deployment.
- An appreciation of UX and UI, it's very important to the products we build.
- Comfortable joining developer meetings, daily stand-ups and regular planning meetings, and communicates effectively across the business.
- Our relaxed environment requires self-motivation and a desire to deliver continuously.
- Regularly delivers software on-time and is constantly working to make accurate estimates and deliver on those estimates.
- Provides technical advice for technical decisions that impact other teams or the company at large. Researches and proposes new technologies.
- Identifies and proposes strategies around technical challenges affecting their team, communicates standards and gets buy-in on solutions
- We work primarily in Elixir (Phoenix) and EmberJS, so experience in either of these is a plus. (We’ll make time for you to get up to speed with our stack either way, so you should be comfortable picking up new languages and frameworks).
- Knowledge of DevOps including Docker, Heroku, basic server management.
- Understanding scaling web apps.
- Understanding or experience of Database query optimisation.
- Understanding or experience of Database schema optimisation.
- Comfortable administering servers, AWS or Google Cloud would be a bonus!
OUR WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Based in the heart of Hull’s busting Fruit Market district the office has spectacular views over Humber Estuary. We are a company that promotes a relaxed, open and positive environment with your input being encouraged and nurtured. AND probably equally as important you will be working in a great forward thinking company, surrounded by a vibrant community of digital talent within C4Di.
If you are interested simply send a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and if you would like further details then give us a call on 01482 234021 or take a look at our website www.wearesauce.io
Application deadline 6nd July 2018. Interviews week beginning 9th July 2018.